I played a 5-hour duo gig last night with Ben Palmer. Just me on organ and Ben on guitar. It turned out to be a great time, and I learned a lot about the psychology of gigging.
It was amazing to me what was going through my mind at first!
1. Stress about driving to the gig.
2. Was I going to be hungry?
3. People were complaining about our music.
4. How were we going to get through a 5-hour gig with just guitar and organ? Do I know enough songs?
5. Is my timing terrible today/are my fingers clumsy?
6. Is it going to be okay playing with Ben and no drummer?
For about the first three hours, my mind was full of worries. Then suddenly, as if on cue, I calmed down. I stopped worrying and got into the music. My hands were warmed up, and I started to play to the best of my ability.
It’s nice to know that it takes 3 hours to fully settle into playing music. Too bad most of my gigs are only three hours long!
My goal is to work on decreasing my worry/warm up time.