Jazz careers can be emotionally tough, for many obvious reasons. There are a few simple things I do to help myself stay happy.
I’ll start with the easiest and least expensive things:
1. Exercise – vigorous exercise for about 1 hour four times a week.
2. Diet – plant-based diet. Lately I’ve added ‘intermittent fasting’ which is a fancy word for only eating food between noon and 8pm.
3. Gratitude – I write in a journal about five minutes a day about anything and everything that pops into my head that I’m thankful for. Also, write people thank-you notes.
4. Vitamin D and Turmeric – A big help for me. I do about 4000iu of Vitamin D and about 2 grams of Turmeric powder with black pepper added.
5. Sauna and ice bath – I do 30 minutes in a 170degree sauna, then immediately jump into a bathtub filled with ice water. You have to trust me on this. We have a sauna at home, but I think many gyms have them.
I also have messed around with meditation, and it’s great too, but I haven’t found my stride with it yet.
Good luck fighting the blues!